Sharing Time Ideas from 2012 Outline
IDENTIFY THE DOCTRINE (seeing a demonstration): Shake the hand of one or more children and role play inviting them to come to Primary and learn about Jesus. Instruct those who receive an invitation to invite others until all the children have been invited. Explain that the Lord wants all of us to be missionaries by teaching our friends about Jesus Christ and His Church.
ECOURAGE UNDERSTANDING (hearing a story): Share the story President Spencer W. Kimball told about a Primary boy who was a good missionary: A man on a train asked the boy about the Mormon Church. The boy recited all of the Articles of Faith. The man was so impressed that this young boy knew what he believed that he went to Salt Lake City to learn more about the Church (see Conference Report, October 1975, 117-19); or Ensign November 1975, 77-79). Explain that learning the Articles of Faith can help us be missionaries now.
ENCOURAGE APPLICATION (reviewing the Articles of Faith): Prepare 13 pieces of paper with a number from 1 to 13 on each. Divide the children into groups. Have each group choose a piece of paper and work together to learn the article of faith that corresponds with that number. When each group is ready, have them recite it to the other children and then take another paper. Continue as time allows.
Sharing Time Ideas from Little LDS Ideas
To begin your sharing time, I really like the idea given in the outline. You could begin by you and another adult acting like you’re inviting the other to church. Then invite 2 or more children up to try it themselves. I think this will help children to see how easy it can be to invite a friend to church.
Then share a story. The one above (from the outline) is great, but a wonderful sister on Sugardoodle shared a great story also.
The story is from a talk given by Sis. Wixom during the 2011 Primary Auxiliary Training meeting. This is such a great story that I think the Primary children will really relate to. Read the story below and Click HERE to view and print from LDS.org.
So after you show ‘how’ to invite friends to church and share a story, you could play a game. I am just going to share some ideas that you can use for the ‘Encourage Application’ part from the outline.
Tom the Turkey learns the Articles of Faith
For those of you in the United States, Thanksgiving is just right around the corner. I thought it might be kind of fun to incorporate a little bit of Thanksgiving into Sharing Time.
Create a turkey using a poster-board, cardstock, etc. Post the turkey up at the front of the Primary room, but don’t attach his feathers.
Here are 2 ways to do the feathers:
1. Have 13 feathers with one of the numbers, 1-13, on each of the feathers. Split the primary into 13 groups, and have each group pick a feather. Have them find the Articles of Faith in their scriptures and have them read their Article of Faith that is on the feather (the number on the feather is the number they will read). Once they have read the Article of Faith and have discussed it, have them draw a picture to represent their Article of Faith. When everyone is finished invite the groups up one at a time to discuss their Article of Faith and show everyone their feather. Then have them attach their feather to ‘Tom’.
2.Have 13 feathers with a picture on each feather to represent each of the Articles of Faith. Have the feathers posted all around the Primary Room. Split the children into 13 groups and have each group pick a feather. Have them sit down together and look at the picture on their feather. Have them figure out which Article of Faith their feather represents. Once they have figured it out have them read the Article of Faith and discuss it. Once everyone is done have each group come up and share their Article of Faith and its meaning. Then have them attach their feather to ‘Tom’.
If you are NOT celebrating Thanksgiving or don’t want to incorporate my silly little Turkey idea here is what you can do:
1. Using a poster-board, draw 13 large boxes (about the size of a paper). You can label each box 1-13 or just leave them blank. In a bucket, hat, etc. have the numbers 1-13 written on small pieces of paper. Split the children into 13 groups and invite one child from each group to come to the front and pick a number from the hat. Have them take it back to their group and read the Article of Faith that matches their number. Then, on a piece of paper have the children draw a picture that represents their group’s Article of Faith. Once everyone is completed invite the groups up one at a time to show their picture and discuss their Article of Faith.
2. For the second option, have a picture to represent each Article of Faith. Place each picture inside an envelope and post the envelopes all around the Primary room. Split the children into 13 groups and have each group choose an envelope. Have the children take the envelope back to their group and have them figure out which Article of Faith the picture represents. Have them read and discuss the Article of Faith.
Once each group is done discussing their Article of Faith invite each group up to share what they have discussed.
You can have each group post their picture onto a chalkboard, poster-board, or string a rope across the room and have them hang it on the rope (like a clothes line).
You could also put different types of puzzles in each envelope instead of a picture. You could do a type of word puzzle, picture puzzle, etc. If you need ideas you can look at my Articles of Faith scavenger hunt for ideas.
I hope these ideas can help you out and can help you teach the children important gospel principles. Have a wonderful week and a great Sharing Time!
Hi! I’m Sheena, the blogger behind Little LDS Ideas. I love sharing LDS Ideas and printables to help make your life and calling a little bit easier. I am a mother to 4 and a wife to one amazing guy. In addition to being busy with blogging and being a wife/mother, I am also in school. Studying and homework keeps me busy, but I love it. Thanks so much for stopping by! ♥
Latest posts by Sheena (see all)
- Come Follow Me Object Lesson: Built Upon the Rock – February 26, 2019
- Come Follow Me Object Lesson Week 8: Blessed are the Peacemakers – February 23, 2019
- Come Follow Me Week 4 Object Lesson: Jesus Christ Is My Light – January 19, 2019