Sharing Time Idea from the 2017 Outline
Identify the doctrine (seeing an object lesson): Have a child stand by the door. Blindfold the child, and have him or her try to find his or her chair and sit down without any help. Repeat the activity, but this time ask another child to guide the blindfolded child by touching his or her arm and leading the way. Discuss with the children why it was easier for the child to find the chair the second time. Explain that the Holy Ghost can help us by giving us direction in our lives. Invite the children to say, “The Holy Ghost can help me.”
Encourage understanding (singing a song and playing a matching game):Write the word help on the board. Sing “The Holy Ghost” (CS, 105), and invite the children to count things mentioned in the song that the Holy Ghost does to help us. Before Primary, prepare 10 pieces of paper with a CTR shield drawn on the front. On the back of each paper, write one of the following 5 phrases describing how the Holy Ghost helps us: the Holy Ghost comforts us, the Holy Ghost testifies of Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost teaches us, the Holy Ghost tells us what to do or not do, and the Holy Ghost helps us to do good (each phrase will be on two different papers). Place the papers on the board in random order with the CTR shields facing the children. Invite a child to turn over one of the papers. Say the words on the back together. Choose another child to turn over another paper and try to make a match. Say the words on the back together. If the papers match, take them off the board. If they do not match, turn them back over. Repeat until all the matches have been made.
Encourage application (discussing scriptures): Divide the children into groups. Give each group one of the following scripture references: John 14:26; John 15:26; 2 Nephi 32:5; D&C 11:12. Ask each group to read their scripture and discuss what it means. Invite the children and their teachers to share examples of how they have felt the influence of the Holy Ghost.
Sharing Time Ideas from Little LDS Ideas
Have you noticed that I have kinda of dropped the ball the last 2 weeks! Sorry! Life has been busy. I decided to stop by and post an idea for this week, even though there’s only 2 days until Sunday. I figured there might be someone still searching for an idea. 🙂
This Holy Ghost Sharing Time is one that I shared last year, but it goes along great with this week. Just do a little tweaking, if you’d like it to fit with the outline, and you’re good to go!
May 2017 Holy Ghost Sharing Time
For the original idea I created scripture posters that talked about the Holy Ghost. I chose one word from each scripture to leave out. The children had to figure out the missing word with the help of an item. You could also have them read the scripture from the scriptures to find the word, and then have them find the item that best fits the missing word.
I thought having items would help the children stay focused and interested. Here are some examples I thought of:
• D&C 11:13– ‘Joy’: have an Almond Joy candy bar or a happy face (you could find happy face stickers, a happy face ball, etc). If you use an Almond Joy or sticker you could have enough for each child. Attach a note with the scripture.
• 2 Nephi 32:5– ‘show’: I thought you could use a flashlight for this because flashlights can show us the way in darkness. You can have a real flashlight or a picture of a flashlight.
• John 14:26– ‘teach’ & ‘remembrance’– I would only use one object for one of the words, probably ‘teach’. I was thinking of something that had to do with school or a teacher. You could have a picture of a teacher or school or you could even do Smarties (candy), unless that would be too hard to understand.
• D&C 11:12–‘good’, ‘judge’, & ‘righteously’: Once again chose one word for this scripture. If you choose ‘good’ you could have a picture of ‘thumbs up’; you could use a Mr. Goodbar (candy); or you could have a picture that shows someone doing something bad, and put a big ‘X’ through it and beside it have a picture of someone doing something good. If you use ‘judge’ you could use a gavel or a picture of a judge.
• Moroni 10:5– ‘know’ & ‘truth’: If you use the word ‘know’ you could have a picture of someone pointing to their head, or a picture of someone bearing their testimony (I know….). If you use ‘truth’ you could have ‘true or false’ boxes with the ‘true’ checked.
Here’s a peek at one of the scripture posters that I created for my idea that I shared last year.
The original post has includes a printable outline with several different ideas, plus the scripture posters.
I hope you enjoy my May 2017 Holy Ghost Sharing Time Idea, and are able to use it for your lesson. I would love to hear if you do, so leave me a comment letting me know.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Latest posts by Sheena (see all)
- Primary 2019 Calendar & Task Sheets – January 16, 2019
- 2019 Young Women Printables & Gift Idea – December 26, 2018
- Young Women 2019 Monthly Calendar & Task Sheet Printables – December 5, 2018